Read the rich History of the Lafayette Band
The Lafayette High School Band program consists of the marching band, concert bands, jazz band, percussion ensemble, and color guard. The marching band and color guard begin their demanding schedule with band camp in July and generally rehearse and perform from August through early November. Lafayette Marching Band competes in the Kentucky Music Educators Association (KMEA) 5A classification. Concert Bands and Jazz Band perform from December through May and members regularly participate in KMEA festivals, solos and ensembles. The marching band, concert bands and jazz band all appear at school and community functions throughout the year. The bands perform under the direction of Charles M. Smith and Dr. Terry Magee.
- A Proud Tradition: the Lafayette High School Band has existed since the opening of the school in 1939 - over 70 years of music excellence.
- Band is a year round, co-curricular activity for every participating student. In addition to the marching band, students participate in concert bands, jazz band, and community orchestras.
- Over 200 students, ages 14 to 18, are members of the Lafayette High School Marching Band.
- The Lafayette Band consistently receives top honors in regional, state, and national competitions and exhibitions, and participates in a wide array of community events.
- The parent booster organization, the Lafayette Band Association, oversees the activities of the band, with guidance from the band directors.
- The band relies on internal and external fundraising and student fees to finance the multi-faceted schedule of activities, including travel and related expenses, the purchase/repair of instruments, the cost of music, purchase/maintenance of all uniforms and other necessary expenses.
Since 1990, the "Pride of the Bluegrass®" Marching Band has won the Kentucky Music Educators Association (KMEA) State Championship in Class 4A and Class 5A an incredible 17 times. Since the inception of the KMEA State Marching Band Championship in 1986, the Lafayette Marching Band has performed as a finalist in every state championship event. The Lafayette Band earned the title of Grand Champion in more than 55 state, regional and national competitions during the last decade. The band is a two-time recipient of the coveted Sudler Shield, an international award recognizing high school and youth marching bands of world class excellence. Lafayette Marching Band has had the distinct honor of escorting Santa on two different occasions in the world-famous Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City.
The concert bands consistently receive top honors and distinguished ratings at the state level and at KMEA festivals. Each year, Lafayette is proud to have many students recognized as KMEA All-District and All-State band members. The Lafayette Band has performed at the prestigious Mid-West International Band and Orchestra Clinic in Chicago in 1993, and they have also performed several times at the Kentucky Music Educator Association Professional Development Conference in Louisville with the last of their five appearances occurring during the 2011 session. The Lafayette Band gave a guest performance at the University of South Carolina Band Clinic and Conductor's Symposium in 1990 and 1998, and was the featured guest performing ensemble at the 2002 Eastern Kentucky University Honors Band Clinic.